Description of the project
25 million kg
More than 25 million kg of apples and pears have to be destroyed. Too much to get wasted, no? Why don’t we turn them into juice. If every Belgian drinks 2 extra liters of apple juice, the problem is solved.
Juice For Change
Juice for Change is delicious juice made from apples who were headed for the bin. We are helping Arthur, a young 23 year old farmer from Haspengouw. He’s starting up his own apple company Mofrubel. The market price for juicing apples is way too low (7 cents per kilo). So he was planning to let his apples rot on the trees. By buying his apples for 31 cents per kilo, Arthur can cover his costs.
5 liters of delicious juice
Juice for Change is for sale in ‘bag-in- boxes’ of 5 liters. The juicing process will be done by Mobile Press Juice Kempenland. The juice will be pasteurised with a shelf life of one year. You can get your bag-in- box between the 9th and 19th of november in one of the following cities: Brugge, Kortrijk, Gent, Ronse, Antwerpen, Mechelen, Brussel, Leuven of Hasselt. The exact locations will be listed later on.
12.5 euros, 5 liters of juice, 7.5 kilos of apples
For 12.5 euros you get 5 liters of apple juice and you rescue 7.5 kilos of apples. 10.5 euros will be used to cover the costs of organising the crowdfunding, buying and pressing the apples. You can also make a donation: 5 euros gives you an apple. 100 euros gives you a dinner for 2. These donations as well as the 2 euro profit from the juice will be used by vzw FSE Network to support new food waste awareness projects.
Who are we?
Juice For Change is an initiative by
● FSE Network: support for projects that address food waste
● WOW! Food: a catering company that cooks with leftover food
● Wonky: delicious and healthy dips made of rescued veggies
● Food: a co-creative food lab and testing kitchen
● Gleaning Network: collection of leftover crops from farmers’ fields after which they are donated to people in need.
● Re-Fruit: buys ugly veggies from farmers for an honest price and sells to consumers
● A great team of volunteers!
Juice For Change is supported by: Velt, Rekub, Eatmosphere, Mary pop-in, sociale kruidenier de KABA, Kromkommer.